Facial Hair FAQ
Should I start shaving as soon as I notice hair growing on my face?
Not necessarily. It may be a couple of years before you really feel the need to shave.
Deciding when to start shaving is based on how your facial hair makes you feel. The time to consider shaving is when it starts to bother you or makes you feel self-conscious about your appearance.
How often should I shave?
That depends on how fast your beard grows and how dark it is. For some guys, shaving once every few weeks is fine at first. Other guys shave maybe once every three or four days.
As you get older and your beard gets heavier, you'll feel the need to shave a little more often.
Is it true that the more I shave the thicker my beard becomes?
No, your beard won't get thicker by shaving more. So you should base your decision on how often to shave on how you want to look.
Should I use an electric razor or a razor blade to shave.
That's up to you. Some guys prefer an electric razor because it's easier and usually faster to use. All you need to do is press the shaver to your face and move it around in the area you want to shave. On the other hand, a razor blade will give you a closer and cleaner shave.
How do I shave with a razor blade?
When you shave you should pull the razor in the direction your beard grows. This lets the blade glide more easily. It will give you a smoother and more even shave.
You can get a sense of what direction your beard grows by feeling your face with your fingers.
Then follow these steps to a smooth shave:
- Wet your beard with warm water. This softens the hairs and makes them easier to cut.
- Put a shaving gel or cream -- not soap -- on your face. Squirt the gel onto your fingertips and apply it evenly over the entire area you are shaving. It should make a lather.
- Start by shaving the sides of your face.
- Use short, slow strokes.
- Avoid going back over the area you've already shaved. Going back can scrape the skin and cause razor burn.
- Rinse the blade under running water after every two or three strokes.
- Shave the area under your chin and at the top of your neck last.
- After you're done, rinse your face with cold water to soothe the skin.