How to Use a Condom
How do I use a condom?
If you are sexually active, keep a few condoms with you so you'll always have one when you need it. Put on a new condom every single time you have sex.
Use a condom when you have vaginal, oral, or anal sex. Put on a different condom for each type of sex you have.
Keep the condom on the whole time you're having sex. Don't take it off at any point. If it breaks, stop and replace it right away.
How do I put on a condom?
For a condom to protect you and your partner, you need to use it right. Otherwise, it might break.
- Make sure the condom is in good condition. It shouldn't be torn. Look at the date on the package to make sure it hasn't expired.
- Start by putting the condom on the tip of your erect penis. The rolled side should be facing out. If you are not circumcised, pull your foreskin back before putting on the condom.
- Leave a half-inch of space at the tip where the semen can collect when you ejaculate. This helps prevent the condom from breaking. Some condoms have reservoir tips that leave the space for you.
- Holding the tip of the condom, roll the condom all the way to the bottom of your penis.
- Use enough lubrication so the condom doesn't break. You can use a water-based lubricant, such as K-Y Jelly or Astroglide. Don't use an oil-based lubricant such as Vaseline, body lotion, baby oil, or massage oil because it can weaken the latex and cause the condom to break.
How do I take off a condom?
Taking the condom off the right way is just as important as putting it on the right way. You don't want any of your semen coming in contact with your partner, even after you have sex.
To take off the condom after ejaculating:
- Before your penis gets soft, grab the rim of the condom.
- Gently pull out from your partner.
- Slide the condom off your penis, making sure you don't spill any semen.
- Wrap the condom in a tissue and throw it away in a place where other people won't touch it.
What if the condom breaks while I'm having sex?
If your condom breaks, stop having sex right away and pull out. Remove the broken condom and put on a new one.