What should I do after getting my wisdom teeth removed?
- Use an ice pack on your face to curb swelling or skin color changes during the first 24-36 hours after surgery.
- Use moist heat on your face for a sore jaw at least 36 hours after your surgery.
- Gently open and close your mouth to exercise your jaw.
- Eat soft foods like pasta, rice, or soup.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Start brushing your teeth the second day. Don't brush any blood clots.
- Take the drugs your doctor prescribes to ease your pain or swelling.
- Call your doctor if you have a fever, or if your pain or swelling doesn’t improve.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.